- 1 (8 or 9 inch) chocolate cake layer, 1 1/2 inches tall, baked in a spring form pan with removable sides
- 1 (1.5 quart) carton slow-churned Peppermint Ice Cream
- 1 (16 ounce) container prepared vanilla frosting
- 24 thin candy canes or sugar sticks
- 12 glace (candied) cherries
- Chocolate decorating icing
- 2 long pretzel rods
- 2 large marshmallows
- Red or green sugar crystals
- Freeze cake in pan for 30 minutes to firm top. Spread ice cream in an even layer to the top edge of pan. Freeze several hours until ice cream is firm.
- Remove sides of pan. Frost sides of cake and a 1-inch border around cake top. Return to freezer if ice cream softens.
- Squeeze decorating icing in a crisscross pattern on top. Press sugar sticks diagonally around sides (if using candy canes remove bent tips). Place cherries around top of cake. Freeze several hours or overnight before serving.
- Dampen top and sides of marshmallows with water. Roll in sugar crystals. Insert pretzel sticks to make ‘drumsticks’. Place on top of cake before serving.
Fun Tip: Prepare a chocolate cake mix, making two cakes and reserving one cake for another use
recipe and image courtesy allrecipes.com